Sunday, February 20, 2011

Day 4 and 5

So my siblings and I (minus Robin because she was sleeping in Korea at the time) had a discussion (heated according to Rob) and we agreed that Roy was right and we are posting every day so we can finish before Lent. But since we hadn't decided that until Sunday, or at least we were in discussion, I am two posts behind. Therefore you get two posts today.

Day four: My favourite book
My favourite book is Invitation to the Game by Monica Hughes. I first read this book when I was in grade 7 and I loved it. Somehow I lost the book while I was in the middle of it and I just kept thinking about it. Finally I finished it and loved it. Check out the link. Not a bad review on Amazon. I do love Monica Hughes. She writes great books for young adults.
Another favourite book is A Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton Porter. This book was given to me by Grandma Mary when I was about 13. I think she thought I read too much science fiction and wanted me to branch out. I still have my copy and have not read it in awhile but still remember the story well. An enjoyable book and free online now. Just follow the link.
If you are still looking I also love The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I always wanted a garden like that, a private place where I could just be with grass and flowers. Apparently the book is old enough that you can read it for free. Link with it for daily excerpts.
Now you must think that I am well read with all those classics and you would be right but I really love funny books. Read Terry Pratchet. He is really funny. In fact I googled Thud to spell his name properly. It totally worked.

Day 5: My Favourite Quote
Common sense is not so common.
Voltaire
I got that one from Melissa but she says "Common sense is not universal".

I also keep this one on the post-it on my computer screen

The conception of two people living together for twenty-five years without having a cross word suggests a lack of spirit only to be admired in sheep.
Alan Patrick Herbert

(I thought of this one later "Did I just use bacon as a verb?" DQ lips )

5 comments:

  1. Invitation to the Game is a great boook. After I read it I thought about who I would bring with me to a new planet. I don't think I would be very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Roy was right, I just don't want him to win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why do you have to finish before Lent?

    ReplyDelete