Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Roy's truck revisited

Gerry called sometime before Halloween. "Do you want a mattress?", came his rough and abrupt voice. Huh? This is not the way a normal phone conversation begins. "The hotel has a fairly new, free mattress that is just sitting outside waiting for someone to take it. Everyone is taking too long. If you take it tonight it's yours". How could I refuse? Granted my bed is only a double but things can be arranged. And then I remembered that Joyce was saying that Rayhay wanted her queen mattress, something about being too tall for a double (wah, wah). Eureka! My solution had arrived. Rob would get the mattress, we would store it somewhere and then get it to Regina. We were going to get Chris and Shelley to bring it down but it happened that Joyce would not be home on that day so plans changed, Joyce came up. She was coming for Jon and Jenn's memorial. She was here, the mattress was here and Roy left his truck. Everything was coming together. Joyce and Rob packed up the truck and Joyce drove to Regina, unpacked and went to Gravelbourg, just for an evening. This is not the end of the story. Joyce also hates Roy's truck (maybe hates is too harsh a word but it is not like her car) so she wanted her car back SOON. "I have an idea," she says on the phone. "We'll meet in Davidson after church, have onion rings, trade vehicles, and be home in time for the game (like it really mattered, sigh)". Rob was going out with his Dad so I got the job. There was a little angst on my part. So that is the story about the truck. We can't find one of Roy's clips now. I wonder what happeded. Did it want onion rings too?

3 comments:

  1. I feel like I need to defend my trucks honour, but a truck is supposed to be a beast to drive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel lucky that I have never had to drive Roy's truck. I don't get to drive anything now though, so maybe I should be jealous.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy, your truck is awesome. It runs. But, here are some of the complaints we have: the driver's side mirror constantly shakes, the heater fan is loud, I stall it in 1st gear, I can't use my cd player in it because the truck vibrates too much the player won't run. On the other hand, it does have cruise (which I figured out only after I had driven all the way back to Regina) and it fits a mattress, which is more than I can say for my car. So Roy, even though your truck is useful, it is annoying

    ReplyDelete